Anne Sorbie is an author, editor, and creative writing instructor. While studying for her MA in creative writing, she raised five kids and worked as a freelance writer in corporate communications.
Her first novel, Memoir of a Good Death, was a semi-finalist for the 2012 Alberta Readers’ Choice Award (an Alberta Literary Award). Anne’s work has been published in Canadian periodicals including Alberta Views, The Wascanana Review, Geist, Other Voices, and the University of Toronto Journal of Medicine, the Arts, and Humanities: Ars Medica. It has also been broadcast on VoicePrint, (now AMI: Accessible Media Inc.) Canada’s Broadcast Reading Service.
Anne also writes poetry. Her poems have been published in the anthologies, The Calgary Project: A Map In Verse and Visual (2014), and Home and Away (2009); they’ve also appeared in 11th Transmission, Rags, and on-line at http://blueskiespoetry.ca/category/poems-by/anne-sorbie/
As past editor of Dandelion Magazine and publisher at Skyview Press, she has combined her love of visual and written art to create both periodicals and chapbooks.
Anne has lived in Calgary since 1973 when her parents immigrated there from Cumbernauld (near Glasgow), Scotland.
Education & Employment
- M.A. Creative Writing (University of Calgary)
- B.A English (University of Calgary)
- Mentor – Creative Writing, Writers Guild of Alberta, 2014
- Instructor – Creative Writing, Mount Royal University 2013, 2012, 2009.
- Workshop Instructor – Galiano Literary Festival February 28, 2011
- Instructor – English, Red Deer College 2004 -2006
- Freelance Writer and Editor – 1995 to present
Current Member – Writers’ Union of Canada
Current Member – Alberta Writers’ Guild
- Past Treasurer – The Calgary International Spoken Word Festival
- Past Director – Calgary International Spoken Word Festival
- Past President – Dandelion Magazine Foundation
- Past Juror – Writers’ Guild of Alberta Mentorship Program
- Reader – Writers’ Union of Canada Writing for Children Competition
- Reader – Writers’ Union of Canada Short Prose Competition
- Past Juror – Airdrie Optimist Club, Optimist Scholarship
- Past Juror – Red Deer College student KITE award for Creative Writing
Awards & Achievements
- Finalist – 2013 CBC Canada Writes Bloodlines competition: “Thomas Horne.”
- Semi-Finalist – 2012 Alberta Readers’ Choice Award (Alberta Literary Award) Memoir of a Good Death (Thisltedown 2010 and 2012)
- Runner Up – 2007 Brenda Strathern Award (Calgary Region Arts Foundation)
- Fellowship to Summer Literary Seminars St. Petersburg, Russia (2006)
- Runner up – Geist 2004 Literary Postcard competition. Entered a visual and accompanying story: “The Bride’s Feet” see http://www.geist.com/articles/bride’s-feet/
- A.T.J. Carins Memorial Scholarship (2001 – 2002)
- Managing Editor – dANDelion Magazine (2001 – 2002)
- Runner Up – Brenda Strathern Award (Calgary Region Arts Foundation 2001)
- Assistant Editor – dANDelion Magazine (2000 – 2001)