Anne Sorbie is an author, editor, and creative writing instructor.
Her fiction, poetry, essays and book reviews have been published by The University of Alberta Press, Frontenac House, House of Blue Skies, and Thistledown Press; in magazines and journals such as Alberta Views, Geist, and Other Voices; and online with Brick Books, CBC Canada Writes, Geist, and Wax Poetry and Art.
Falling Backwards Into Mirrors, a collection of poetry, will be released by Inanna Publications in fall 2019.
As a past editor of Dandelion Magazine and as publisher at Skyview Press, Anne has combined her love of visual and written art to create both periodicals and chapbooks.
This year, along with writer, Heidi Grogan, Anne will co-edit the (M)othering Anthology for which you can find more information (here) or by using the link at the top of this page.
Anne has lived in Calgary since 1973 when her parents immigrated there from Cumbernauld (near Glasgow), Scotland.
Education & Employment
- M.A. Creative Writing (University of Calgary)
- B.A. English (University of Calgary)
- Mentor – Creative Writing, Writers Guild of Alberta
- Instructor – Creative Writing, Mount Royal University
- Instructor – English, Red Deer College
- Freelance Writer and Editor
- Alberta Writers Guild
- Writers’ Union of Canada
- League of Canadian Poets
- Past Treasurer – The Calgary International Spoken Word Festival
- Past Director – Calgary International Spoken Word Festival
- Past President – Dandelion Magazine Foundation
- Past Juror – Writers’ Guild of Alberta Mentorship Program
- Reader – Writers’ Union of Canada Writing for Children Competition
- Reader – Writers’ Union of Canada Short Prose Competition
- Past Juror – Airdrie Optimist Club, Optimist Scholarship
- Past Juror – Red Deer College student KITE award for Creative Writing
Awards & Achievements
- Finalist – 2013 CBC Canada Writes Bloodlines competition: “Thomas Horne.”
- Semi-Finalist – 2012 Alberta Readers’ Choice Award (Alberta Literary Award) Memoir of a Good Death (Thisltedown 2010 and 2012)
- Runner Up – 2007 Brenda Strathern Award (Calgary Region Arts Foundation)
- Fellowship to Summer Literary Seminars St. Petersburg, Russia (2006)
- Runner up – Geist 2004 Literary Postcard competition. Entered a visual and accompanying story: “The Bride’s Feet” see http://www.geist.com/articles/bride’s-feet/
- A.T.J. Carins Memorial Scholarship (2001 – 2002)
- Managing Editor – dANDelion Magazine (2001 – 2002)
- Runner Up – Brenda Strathern Award (Calgary Region Arts Foundation 2001)
- Assistant Editor – dANDelion Magazine (2000 – 2001)